Friday, April 25, 2008

Ok, so I think the Kansas Jayhawks did actually win the National Championship

After more than two and a half weeks, I am finally willing to acknowledge that the victory in the National Championship was not a dream and it ACTUALLY HAPPENED. Unbelievable!!! Go Hawks!!!

So there has been much discussion/gloating/etc post-game and I thought I would share a bit of the shenanigans:

First off, a little family related celebration. From the fine publication that is the Topeka Capital Journal, a picture of my little brother Grant (see arrow) on the night of the championship:

This picture was taken in downtown Lawrence on the day of the 12 minute 'congratulations for winning the championship' parade:

This photo was taken the same day in downtown Manhattan, KS (home of the rival Kansas State Wildcats):On the scale of 1 to funny, I'd give this about a 2. But, this next video is a little better. Since Mario Chalmers hit the big 3 at the end of regulation in the National Championship, it has been referred to as "One Shining Moment". The following is a tribute to our other (and more hated) rival, the Missouri Tigers and some of their shining moments over the past few years:


















Ahhhhhh.....it is a good time to be a Jayhawk.....

So there was a lot of discussion following the game regarding Roy Williams (current UNC coach and former longtime KU coach) wearing a KU Jayhawks sticker on his shirt at the National Championship game. Ok, so I can understand how UNC fans might be a little disappointed considering his UNC team 'got their tails whooped' (as he would say) 2 nights earlier. BUT, the gesture went a long way with many KU fans. This barbershop owner in Lawrence DID have a portrait of Roy in the bathroom (called it Roy's Room) until the sticker incident:

When Roy left KU 5 years ago, I was definitely bummed. I had seen him speak a couple of times and thought he was not only an amazing coach, but an amazing human being. Very humble, hard working, genuine guy. I couldn't fault him for going back to his alma mater, but I still felt a little slighted by the guy who I had worshipped for 10+ years.

It passed after a year or so and when Roy finally won his first national championship at UNC, I was happy for him. Many KU fans, however, seemed to foster a deep rooted hatred for the guy for many years. I am HOPING that this gesture will finally 'bury the hatchet' so to speak. In the meantime, we can continue to laugh at his expense. Here are some photos of Roy celebrating the victory:




Kansas Jayhawks #1. Believe it. And good thing we won it this year because our entire team just declared for the NBA draft. Peace.

No comments: