Monday, April 14, 2008

Laziest Bloggity Blog Ever

Sheesh maneesh. I have been horrible. The good news for the few bloggity blogs 5 regulars out there is that I will be forced for once to be brief in describing the highlights of my past 3 weeks of continued unemployment. Ah, who am I kidding? I can't be brief!!! This is going to be one long f*cking post. Might want to cancel that meeting you have this morning.....

So, in the past 3 weeks, I have...............................
Attended a Nada Surf/Sea Wolf concert at The Fillmore. Sea Wolf is one of those indie bands that just pretty much kicks a bunch of you know what. When my bro worked at musicplustv.com, he and I filmed an interview with lead singer Alex Church at the Treasure Island Music Festival. I was "associate producer" which meant I pretty much stood around and tried not to make any noise. Die hards can check out the interview here.
If you have 3 minutes and 36 seconds, check out their single, "You're a Wolf" here - one of my favorite songs of 2007. Hey, you can listen while you read! Do it. Photo from the Fillmore show:

And Nada Surf, what a great story. Thought they would be a one hit wonder (they sang that song "Popular" in the early zips), but they came back from the abyss and have produced 3 solid albums. Live show was fun - they had a lot of fan participation and even invited a few friends on stage near the end......

2 nights later, I went to see Tokyo Police Club at The Independent. Although their new music/album lacks the raw power of their previous 2 EPs, I thought they sounded great live. Especially for guys that look like they could still be in middle school. Big props to my friends Isabel and Matt who toughed it out on a Monday night to join me for the show and the MOST DELICIOUS SALADS in San Francisco at Fly Bar....seriously if you haven't had the 5 parts bacon, 1 part spinach salad, you are missing out!!!

The day before the TPC show, I attended a truly San Francisco event with my friend Gloria from Charlottesville (good timing on the visit Gloria!!!) The 8th annual Bring Your Own Big Wheel race for adults. I think the photos do most of the explaining, but in summary: 400 adults, in costumes racing down THE crookedest street in San Francisco (for all you tourists, it is not Lombard but VERMONT in Potrero Hill) while 1,000 spectators look on. Wow. Next year you can be damn sure that I will be on a big wheel.....


After my weekend of musica and big wheel fun, I headed for San Diego to hang out with my double Js friend Renee. Got to "surf" one day although I think that you call what I was doing "fall" - I blame the crappy conditions. Also put on one of the most pathetic shufflepuck performances in the history of barsports one night when out with her baby's daddy Brenton and his friends. Needless to say, I bought most of the drinks that night. Renee attempted to get me hooked on this horrible television show on Bravo (oh wait, that's redundant) called Rich Housewives of New York or something. The premise is these ridiculously spoiled socialite women who basically plan parties, play tennis and bitch about absolutely nothing. It would be worth watching if ANY OF THEM were hot. Ok, maybe not. They are complete retards.

During the weekend, I watched my Hawks play their way into the Final Four (more on that later) and attended a wine party thrown by the PDiddy of San Francisco, Lyle Poindexter (yes, this is his real name). Normally, I would think a wine party would not be my scene, but it was a blast. Maybe it was the fact that we had to try 15 different wines? While definitely feeling it, I miraculously gave a duplicated wine the same score at positions #2 and #13.....yeah, let's see YOU try that after 12 glasses of wine! Some samples from my comment sheet:

"if my grandmother were alive, she might like this wine. but, she's not. she's dead. thanks for me reminding me"

"very grapey with hints of red wine"

"this wine is so oaky it reminds me of West Virginia......which reminds me of Deliverance.....which reminds me of that scene with Ned Beatty and the hillbillies.......which......you know what, this wine sucks"

Fun times, indeed. The next week saw me travelling back to Virginia to hang out with my friend Miriam. The first time I rolled through Charlottesville, it was freezing and gray. This time, it was......um, well, exactly the same. I think there is some kind of wierd Michael Andrews/Charlottesville jinx going on. All of our outdoor activities plans (tennis, hiking, etc) were scrapped, but we did get to go to:
1) Thomas Jefferson's house (Monticello)!

2) The gift shop at Thomas Jefferson's house (I think we actually spent more time here than the actual house)!
3) Perform the musical "Singing in the Rain" starring Miriam's friend Christina as Gene Kelly!

4) Watch the Kansas Jayhawks demolish North Carolina and then Memphis! YEAH!!!!!

5) Get our picture taken by these flowers!

6) Go to the climbing wall!

7) And.....and.......and.....

Yep. Did I mention that I got to stay in the dorms again and eat at the dining hall? I had nachos, pizza, salad, cereal and 3 different types of pasta for lunch! One night, the guys and I on the floor stayed up until 4am playing video games, playing poker and rating the girls on the floor. It was awesome. Ok, there may be SOME embellishment here...

So, last but certainly not least. Kansas Jayhawks NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy CRAP!!!!!!! I still feel like it is all a dream. Except it is getting to be a really long dream. And frankly, parts of the dream have been kind of lame and unnecessary - like why would I get a cold after the game? I am just hoping it wasn't like that one season of Dallas where Bobby Ewing died, but it ended up all being in his wife's head and then he came back.

So, the main thing I will say about the Championship.......man, it takes a lot of luck to win the whole thing. We could have very easily gone home if Davidson would have made the three pointer at the end of the game OR if North Carolina would have kept their rally going in the second half of the semifinal OR if Memphis wouldn't have completely choked and missed all those free throws OR if Mario wouldn't have made that incredible three pointer at the end of regulation. Florida coach Billy Donovan said it best after his team won in 2006 - if you played the games again, you probably would get a completely different outcome. No doubt. But, I will take it. The National Championship that is. Kansas Jayhawks #1.

Whew. I've got to start updating this more often so it doesn't become such a marathon. Updates on my job search upcoming - I actually had an interview last week. WHOA.

4 comments:

Go Go Girl said...

Love the Dallas reference - brought back great memories. You missed 40,000+ at the parade yesterday - shortest parade in histo but LOUD.

MCA said...

For all you non-Dallas fans out there, here is a recount of the absurd incident I referenced:
http://www.kevinmccorrytv.com/dallas.html

WOW Lisa, 40k?! Unbelievable! Great time to be in Lawrence!!!!

Anonymous said...

dude, nice mop top!

Yo, you gotta check out this out

http://ignoredprayers.blogspot.com/

chuuuch

Go Go Girl said...

OK mikey, so now I'm hearing 100,000 plus were there - who the hell knows. Thankfully, my man with 10,000 vehicles parked the "farm truck" on Mass the night before so we had a place to corral our group. A good time was had by all - a 12 minute parade of nothing but fun!